Confessions of an Anonymous Coward

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The God Delusion: The Third 100 Pages

Wow. It's been three weeks since I last posted here. That's way too long. Yeah, there are reasons for the delay--I've still been quite busy, and I was actually without internet access for a period of time (not worth going into details)--but anyway, uh, I guess I'm back. And though there are plenty of other things I've been wanting to post about, I think I'll start out by finally continuing my posts about my impression of The God Delusion

Anyway, I said in my second post that I probably wasn't going to do this--not that I wasn't going to continue this series, but that I wasn't going to post about the third 100 pages, specifically; I was likely to just make one more post wrapping everything up. I'm not doing that primarily because, uh, I still haven't finished the book. Not that I'm that slow a reader, of course; I finished the first 300 pages in a few days, after all. It's just that when I didn't finish the book by the book club meeting, I wasn't in a hurry to finish it thereafter, especially since I had so much else to do (like I said, I've been busy). But after this post I'm going to read the rest--aside from the fact that, well, it's about time that I finished it, it's, uh, overdue at the library... Anyway, I haven't looked at the book since that August book club meeting, so I guess before making this post I should at least skim those third 100 pages to refresh my memory...

Okay, back. Actually, I have little to say about this part of the book (which is good, because this post is late enough already, and I don't have much time to write it). Dawkins presents here arguments about why religion isn't necessary for morality (a well-worn subject, but one that too many theists still refuse to accept), and, significantly, why and how religion has been--and still is--an active force for harm, both societally and individually. (His discussion of the "moral Zeitgeist" in Chapter 7 has much in common with a post I made back in June). But I won't repeat his arguments in detail; you can (and probably should, if you haven't) read the book yourself for that. Again, my purpose here is to state my impression of the book--and in particular, my criticisms of it, since I haven't seen any really critical reviews not from a religious standpoint. (I repeat, however, as I've said in earlier posts, that my focus on criticism here shouldn't be taken to imply overall that I disliked the book--only that it's the details I found fault with that I think are most worth discussing here, since plenty of other people have already gone on about its virtues.)

Actually, after reading this part of the book, I think I want to mitigate--though not entirely retract--some of my prior criticisms. I mentioned that the second part of the book seemed somewhat less gratingly insulting and potentially offensive toward the religious than the first; the trend continues in the third. At first, I thought perhaps this was an odd strategy, to concentrate his venom near the beginning of the book and thus turn off potential religious readers, but on further thought perhaps that's not the case after all. Any theists willing to read the book in the first place are likely to expect some offense and stick through it, and if they get through the harshness at the beginning then by the time they've finished the book they may have forgotten it, or at least forgiven it. I still think it would likely have been more productive--from the standpoint of winning religious converts--to forbear from such insulting language altogether, but if he feels the need to put it in perhaps the beginning of the book is the place for it. (The possibility has not escaped me that perhaps its concentration at the beginning of the book is in fact illusory; that it only seems that there's less vituperation later on because I became inured to it. If that's the case, though, then that's likely to be just as true of religious readers, so again the situation is not as bad as it first appeared.)

And as for my criticism about his misunderstanding of the literalist mindset, in his apparent belief that no one really believes that God is a bearded man and that all the Bible stories are literally true--again, there's some validity to that criticism, but it's not as bad as I originally thought. It becomes clear later on that Dawkins is perfectly aware after all that there are people who believe in the literal truth of scripture, and so forth and so on--he just doesn't regard them as part of his target audience. They are, he opines (apparently, though of course he never explicitly says so), too far over the edge and beyond dissuasion; he will address himself to the more sophisticated liberal theists and give the literalists up for lost. I do think he misses the mark here--I think many literalists are more sophisticated and more open-minded than he gives them credit for (perhaps I'm a bit biased here because, after all, I was raised Mormon myself, and the Mormon religion is quite conservative and literalist and has much in common with fundamental Christianity despite the fundamentalists' abomination of it)--but thinking that literalists are all hidebound and unsophisticated is at least a less severe error than not realizing they exist at all.

So. I realize this hasn't been a very meaty post, but like I said it's been way too long, and I just wanted to get something up. Tomorrow I hope to make my final post about The God Delusion--and after that I really need to return it to the library...

10 Comments:

At 10/06/2007 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two goldilocksfish swimming around in a bowl.. One says to the other:

‘If there is no God, how come: 1) The temperature in here is just right; 2) Food arrives regularly; 3) The water gets cleaned?

The second goldilocksfish (who happens to be a Professor for the Goldilocksfish Understanding Of Science) replies:

‘ It is probable that we live in a multiverse that contains an astronomically large number of fish-bowls. Most of those bowls will be completely fishless. The fact that we are here able to discuss the matter means that we are fortunate to live in one of the tiny number of bowls capable of sustaining evolved life. In the words of the old song: We’re here because we’re here, because we’re here! ‘

 
At 10/09/2007 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question for you - would you recommend The God Delusion? I ask, because when it first came out, I was still too embarrassed to be seen with it at the checkout. But now that I'm past the embarrassment, the last time I picked it up and opened to a random page to start reading, it wasn't telling me anything I hadn't already heard. Did I just happen to open to a bad page? Is the book really inciteful? Or is just a bunch of choir preaching?

 
At 2/26/2010 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

....look for a man in black...look for return of the vampire...shadowless...up is down and black is white...everything we know is a lie...the truth is this close...the age of aquarius...age of revelations...for all who will hear...look out for the beast...the blackness around you...

 
At 2/15/2011 3:48 PM, Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

God bless. I hope you change the name, too. 'Unwieldy Envoy' would be fantastic. We don't know what's gonna happen at the endOlife, do we? But, yet, trust in Jesus. Jesus lives forever, dude, we're mortals. Think about that.

 
At 3/13/2012 1:53 PM, Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

I'm glad you kept my post. you're thinking. Kick-ass --- Alas! because you’re ignorant on how to rise above the whorizontal and one-outta-one shall croak sometime, somewhere soon, God has set-up this magnificent feature on the Way either Upstairs or downtown: the Warning. Everyone, me, too, living on this planet will see and feel the Warning lasting about 20ish minutes, showing U.S. a gorgeous picture of Heaven, Purgatory (depending whether our sins demand a greater punishment before being allowed into the Great Beyond), and dagnasty Hell. Remember, God doesn’t condemn; we condemn ourselves by our sinful lifestyles of unbelief. The Warning’s just a wake-up call. Don’t believe me? Guhroovy. You will soon. God bless you with discernment.

 
At 9/01/2015 7:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-09-02 zhengjx
louis vuitton handbags
hollister.com
true religion
toms outlet store
oakley sunglasses
mont blanc pen
cheap oakleys
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
tods shoes outlet
polo shirts
louis vuitton
michael kors uk
michael kors
oakley sunglasses
michael kors
toms shoes
michael kors outlet online
ray ban wayfarer
louis vuitton outlet
jordan retro 11
louis vuitton outlet
ugg outlet
louis vuitton
pandora rings
louis vuitton
air jordan retro
ed hardy outlet store
coach factory online
nike store uk
"toms outlet,toms wedges,toms.com,cheap toms,cheap toms shoes

"
pandora jewelry
tory burch outlet online
true religion outlet
uggs on sale

 
At 7/04/2018 6:05 PM, Blogger jeje said...

pandora jewelry outlet
coach outlet online
true religion outlet
yeezy boost 350 v2
coach factory outlet
adidas shoes
pandora jewelry
pandora
cheap basketball shoes
adidas outlet online

 
At 10/07/2018 11:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yeezy boost 350 v2
air jordan
goyard outlet
yeezy 500
ferragamo sale
michael kors outlet
golden goose sale
kayno
jordan 6
michael kors purses

 
At 9/29/2021 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone, sorry I've been away for so long. Just a lot of good news on my side. I want to share here some good news of how to get a positive loan lender to finance my business, please pass this along and share! I got a loan approval from Mr Pedro Jerome so I am very excited and it is one step closer to a good future. I hope everyone is doing well. I am on a good track to my business needs on my side. It just keeps getting higher and higher. Hopefully soon I can get back on track with the help of Pedro Jerome a loan officer,
If anyone here looking for a loan please contact Mr Pedro Jerome on pedroloanss@gmail.com also on whatsapp conversation +1 863 231 0632
I wish you all success.....

 
At 3/12/2024 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

supreme
cheap golden goose sneakers
golden goose outlet
hermes outlet online
bape hoodie
air jordan 1
off white jordan
jordan shoes
kd 15
pg 1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home