Confessions of an Anonymous Coward

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Temple Is Closed

I said back at the beginning of June that my visit to the temple for the Los Angeles temple jubilee was likely to be my last. My temple recommend wasn't going to expire until August, but I had no particular desire to go to the temple again, and certainly no longer feel any obligation to.

Well, turns out that prediction was accurate; my temple recommend was supposed to have been good until August, but it seems they're redesigning all the temple recommends--they have bar codes now, I guess so they can be scanned in instead of, or in addition to, being looked over visually. Since I wasn't planning on going to the temple between now and August anyway, it doesn't particularly matter to me that my temple recommend is invalid a little sooner than I thought. It has, however, led to a few awkward moments, when someone suggested the bishop was free and that now would be a good time to get my new recommend, or when someone else asked me if I'd gotten my new recommend yet. (My response, essentially: Don't have time today; gotta go.) I expect the matter will blow over, though, and in a week or two everyone will just assume I've done it--except the bishop, of course, but it remains to be seen whether he will remember that I haven't gotten my new recommend (or check his records to see), and if so whether he'll try to do anything about it. If so...well, maybe my coming clean about my atheism will be forced a little sooner than I'd planned.

(I could, of course, just go through the interview and get the recommend. But, as I've said before, I already feel uncomfortable enough essentially lying by omission by not telling the people at church that I don't believe; getting a new recommend would involve lying directly (to the bishop and a member of the stake presidency during the interviews), and I certainly don't want to do that. If that means admitting to my deconversion--which it may, if they ever ask me directly why I'm not renewing my recommend--well, so be it, I guess. Hasn't happened yet, though.)

Now, one might wonder, of course, why the church would feel the need to redesign the temple recommends. The addition of the bar code suggests that a reason is to heighten security. Which certainly makes sense; the church has always been very protective about what goes on in the temple, and takes pains to try to avoid any details getting out. Not entirely successfully--there are, in fact, transcripts of all the major temple ceremonies available on the web, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the video from the temple endowment ceremony was available somewhere too (though almost certainly not on the web, because the church's legal department would quickly move to have it taken down due to copyright violation)--, but they've certainly made the effort. The standard church response to questions about why the temple ceremonies are such a big secret is that they're not secret, they're sacred--they're so holy that they should not be tainted by speaking about them in unhallowed contexts. But of course "secret" and "sacred" aren't mutually exclusive, and even if church members do consider the temple ceremonies sacred, they're certainly secret as well...so this standard response is really dodging the question.

During the priesthood meeting last Sunday, the question came up of why new converts to the church had to wait a year before they were allowed to enter the temple. The response a church authority had given to this question was that that time was necessary in order for the convert to be prepared for what he will go through in the temple. The temple ceremonies must be experienced with the proper spiritual mindset. I think it's pretty clear that the real reason, though, is to weed out people who would otherwise join the church just to see what happens in the temple, and then disseminate that information. If they've stayed faithful in the church for a year, it's a safe bet they're genuine about their devotion. It's yet another way the church is protecting its "sacreds".

Or, on second thought, maybe that's not entirely the real reason--though I strongly suspect it is a part of it. Maybe there is an aspect of preparation necessary before one can experience the temple ceremony the way the church leaders would like. Because, frankly, considering the temple ceremonies now...I think to someone who hadn't had some level of conditioning or--at the risk of using a perhaps too loaded word--brainwashing before experiencing those temple ceremonies would see them as absolutely ludicrous. By the time a member has been in the church for a year, its supposed absolute truth has been drilled into his head enough he'll be willing to accept what goes on in the temple regardless of its silliness; maybe someone who hadn't been so firmly entrenched in the church yet is much more likely to be sufficiently disturbed or baffled by the temple ceremonies to be driven away entirely. In fact, maybe that's the main reason the church has to keep the temple ceremonies such a secret in the first place--because if they got out to members who hadn't been sufficiently "prepared", or worse yet to potential converts, they'd lose interest in the church.

Ah, well. Regardless of the reasons for it, I'm content not to get the fancy new bar-coded temple recommend. I've seen the secrets of the temple, many times, and I don't need to see them again.

8 Comments:

At 7/26/2007 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was once told by a non-LDS woman that she heard that weddings were conducted in the nude in the temple. She heard this from a reliable source and was totally serious when she told me this. LOL

 
At 7/29/2007 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually thought about getting a fake recommend to be able to go to weddings and such, but w/ the barcode deal i think it wouldn't be a good idea.

 
At 8/01/2007 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course there is a social engineering aspect to "sacred secrets" as well. A shared secret is a bonding event, helping to separate "us" from "them". Secrets are fun, too :)

 
At 9/04/2007 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real reason they make you wait a year is to get your 10%. Nothing is free. Nada, zip, zlich.

I say this, as it was pretty clear that I joined the church for my future husband. I stand by his integrity of his beliefs, and convictions, even if they fly in the face of the church.

Unfortunately, I don't make the kind of money that the place where I work might make outsiders think I make. I gave what I could, but in the end, I was told, 'paying ones tithing, is not an entry fee'.

Ok, so then how else may I experience these said sacred rites if there's no other way to gain access if I don't pay what the Bishopric has been told is expected of me?

Thank you for your blog. Please keep writing:)

 
At 9/27/2007 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If weddings were conducted in the nude there would be queues miles long to get in. I've never been to an LDS temple but I do know what go's on in there and it's the same stuff that went on in Christ's day and before. Thats why there's so much opposition to the LDS church.

 
At 1/07/2009 12:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品,A片,A片

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇

a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

 
At 9/01/2015 8:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015-09-02 zhengjx
michael kors uk
hollister uk
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
nike blazers uk
pandora bracelets
coach factory
celine handbags
wholesale jerseys
hollister uk
fake oakleys
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
ugg boots cheap
soccer shoes
michael kors outlet
hollister jeans
coach outlet store online
giuseppe zanotti shoes
knockoff watches
hollister co,hollister jeans,hollister.com,hollister ca
coach outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
giuseppe zanotti outlet
kevin durant shoes 2015
www.louisvuitton.com
michael kors handbags
burberry outlet online
michael kors handbags
longchamp sale
louis vuitton handbags
uggs on sale
true religion jeans
hermes bags
coach outlet online
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet online
timberland outlet
adidas superstar
toms shoes

 
At 7/02/2018 12:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

www0702


polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet
moncler outlet
uggs outlet
palladium boots
bcbg dresses
reebok outlet store
san antonio spurs jerseys
kyrie 4
jordan shoes









 

Post a Comment

<< Home